On Tuesday 10 December, the Office of the Ombudsman will officially launch its human rights mandate, as the National Human Rights Institution of Samoa. National, regional and international dignitaries will attend. The Deputy Prime Minister will deliver an address, and speeches will be given from representatives from the UNDP, the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, and the Asia-Pacific Forum, all organisations who have given much support to the creation of the NHRI. 10 December is International Human Rights Day, celebrated the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Performances will be held from the winner of Samoa Rights Taleni, the human rights-themed TV talent show created by the Office and airing throughout November and December. The Prisoner’s Performance Group, Ola Fuataina, will also perform.
The launch will be held from 9am until midday, with take away lunch available, at the Ministry of Women, Community and Social Development building (To’oa Salamasina Hall). Members of the public are welcome. The venue is disability accessible and sign language interpretation will be provided.
- 13 December 2013 Samoa's National Human Rights Institution Officially Launched
- 12 December 2013 Churches need to bear witness to domestic violence
- 5 December 2013 National Human Rights Institution of Samoa to be Launched on International Human Rights Day 10 December
- 5 December 2013 Samoa Celebrates International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- 6 August 2013 Ombudsman Office at Red Cross Handbook Launch
5 December 2013 National Human Rights Institution of Samoa to be Launched on International Human Rights Day 10 December